To start off 2024, we wanted to recap some of the highlights for Brown Lab members from the past year!
- Third-year PhD student Ana Sheridan was awarded the NSF GRFP award, a prestigious fellowship awarded by the National Science Foundation for early graduate researchers in the sciences.
- Fifth-year PhD student Grant Scull was elected president of the National Student Chapter of SFB as well as a STAR award from the 2023 SFB National Meeting.
- Fourth-year PhD Student Aryssa Simpson earned the NCSU/UNC BME Student Service Award for her involvement as BME senator in the UNC Graduate and Professional Student Government, BMEGSA 2021-2022 Vice President and 2022-2023 Science Outreach Chair, and NC State representative of the Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) for building infrastructure for faculty careers for underrepresented minority (URM) dissertation students.
- In addition to defending her PhD thesis, MD-PhD student Nina Moiseiwitsch won a Cariovascular SIG Poster Award at the 2023 Society for Biomaterials (SFB) Annual Meeting.
- Second-year PhD Student Melika Osareh received support from the T32-funded Molecular Biotechnology Training Program (MBTP) aimed at training future academic, government, and industrial researchers interested in biotechnology.
- First-year PhD student Ethan Pozy received support from the T32-funded Chemistry of Life Training Program (CLP) aimed at propelling research a the interface of molecular sciences and the life sciences .
- Lab manager Jennifer Sollinger received and NCSU/UNC BME 2023 Award for Excellence for Excellence in Outstanding State Government Service for going above and beyond an employee’s normal responsibilities.
- PI Ashley Brown was elected the titles American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) Fellow and American Heart Association (AHA) Fellow